28 Jul Aging Skin – Prevent, Manage, Reverse
When you hear the term “aging skin,” a few things come to mind: fine lines and wrinkles, sun damage, hyperpigmentation, dark circles, sagging, a dull complexion.
The good news: there are ways to slow the aging process and keep that youthful glow for as long as possible! The key to healthy skin is easy – prevent, maintain, reverse.
Prevention is key, and often times it all comes down to common sense. Here are a few things you can do to prevent the signs of aging:
- Drink plenty of water. This is one of the best ways to prevent aging! Hydrated skin stays brighter, suppler, and healthier.
- Eat a healthy diet. A diet rich in vitamins, minerals, and protein can slow the signs of aging from the inside out.
- Get plenty of sleep. The more you sleep, the more you are preventing dark circles and dull skin.
- Wear sunscreen. Common sense, yes. Common practice, less so. It is crucial to wear sunscreen daily, and reapply as instructed to protect your skin from the damage that results from UV rays and overexposure.
- Create a skin care regimen. Find products that work well with your skin type and specific needs, and stick to a daily regimen. An effective general regimen should include regular face washing with a cleanser (especially in the evening when it is crucial to remove make-up, dirt, oil, and environmental stressors from your skin), a toner or serum, and moisturizer.
It can be a challenge to keep up with a skin care regimen every day. What usually happens is you start out strong, miss a day here and there, and eventually taper off into nothing, which does nothing to keep the signs of aging away!
Research has shown that the earlier you start a skin care routine, the more likely you are to keep at it, so the time to start is now.
If you are lucky enough to have great skin, maintaining it will be your ultimate goal. Keep your skin looking its best by booking regular spa procedures, such as facials, to rejuvenate your skin and promote new cell growth.
This may be one of the most common desires when it comes to your skin – reversing the signs of aging that have already appeared. While reversal is not the easiest (and why preventing and maintaining are crucial), there have been advances in technology that can help slow or reverse signs of aging after the damage has already been done.
- Peels and abrasive processes, such as dermaplaning or microdermabrasion, will remove dead skin cells and promote the growth of new, healthy cells. This is the first step to reversal, as the exfoliation and acids involved will produce radiant, youthful looking skin.
- Light therapy is a more recent discovery that deeply penetrates the skin without damaging heat. Light therapy helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by increasing the natural production of collagen and moisture in the skin. It is non-evasive and can also be used to treat blemishes, sun spots, and age spots.
It’s not too late to start taking care of your skin! Prevent, maintain, and reverse the signs of aging and bask in the glow of youthful skin for as long as possible.