Fall and winter are anything but nice to your skin. Chilly weather and biting winds can really take a toll on your skin, leaving it chapped, red, dry, and flaky. However, fall also offers the perfect ingredient to keep your skin healthy and protected – pumpkin!
Pumpkin is a superfood your skin needs to survive the harsh weather; it can be useful both topically and internally (and luckily, it tastes delicious). This is why you need to add pumpkin to your skin care routine this fall:
- Pumpkin is packed with fruit enzymes and alpha hydroxy acids, which increase cell turnover. This helps brighten and smooth the skin.
- Pumpkin contains vitamin A and vitamin C, crucial antioxidants that help soften and soothe the skin, while also boosting collagen production to prevent the signs of aging.
- Don’t toss the pumpkin seeds after carving! Pumpkin seeds contain zinc, which is an ingredient all acne-suffers need to clear up their skin. Zinc helps control hormone levels and oil production, which can help erase breakouts fast.
- Zinc isn’t the only mineral found in pumpkins; they are full of potassium, copper, magnesium, manganese, and iron! Protect cell membranes, fight acne, maintain collagen production, and promote skin renewal.
- Another reason to hold on to the pumpkin seeds is that they are high in essential fatty acids and vitamin E, which are necessary to maintain good barrier function of the skin. Keep that skin safe from the elements! Vitamin E and fatty acids also help keep sebum production under control (another benefit for oily and acne-prone skin).
- Pumpkin’s benefits go much deeper than skin deep. The molecular structure of pumpkin is small and therefore can penetrate deeper into the skin when used topically. Pumpkin can help brighten a dull complexion, balance hyperpigmentation, and slow down/prevent the signs of aging due to free radical damage (such as fine lines and wrinkles and even skin cancer). Even more reason to make your own pumpkin facials, scrubs, and lotions at home!