As the summer begins its subtle transition into fall, the amount of sunshine your skin sees starts to decrease – and your beautifully sun-kissed skin goes with it. To keep the healthy glow of summer lasting through the colder months, try this all-natural recipe for bronzing body butter! A whipped moisturizer with a slight hint of color will leave your skin radiant, soft, and hydrated all winter long.
- 1 cup (8 oz.) shea butter or cocoa butter
- ½ cup coconut oil or carrier oil of your choice (sweet almond, jojoba, etc.)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons finely ground cinnamon (optional for scent and additional color deposit)
- 1 teaspoon naturally-derived vitamin E (optional for preserving longer)
- 5-10 drops skin-friendly essential oil (optional for scent and medicinal benefits)
With ingredients like these, this body butter will look and smell good enough to eat. Although all the ingredients are edible, please don’t eat it! And remember to label your jars to avoid a not-so-tasty surprise for family or friends.
Using a double boiler or small bowl fitted over a pot, melt the shea butter and coconut oil over low heat. Once completely melted, remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
Mix in olive oil and cocoa powder. If desired, mix in cinnamon, vitamin E, and essential oil as well. Place mixture in the freezer to set.
When the oil mixture is partially solidified, remove from freezer and whip until soft peaks form. Aim for a consistency of whipped butter.
Store in a clean glass jar at room temperature and enjoy! If you live in a hot climate, store your body butter in the fridge. With the vitamin E, this can be stored and used up to one year.