With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, you may be dreading getting rid of your winter hair build-up for the special day. Let’s face it – when your legs are covered by pants and leggings for an entire season, who wants to worry about leg hair?
Waxing can save you time in the long run when it comes to hair regrowth. Your hair often grows back slower, lighter, and finer after multiple waxing sessions, without the pain and unsightly appearance that comes with shaving.
Here is an easy, affordable, effective, and all natural DIY sugar wax recipe for your legs that will leave them feeling smooth, silky, and touchable sweet for Valentine’s Day:
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup raw sugar (such as turbinado)
- 2 tablespoons water
- cornstarch (non-GMO if possible), or arrowroot powder
- cloth strips, about 6 inches wide and 12 inches long
- Heat lemon juice, sugar, and water in a pan on the stove slowly until it reaches a lazy boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer until it becomes smooth and golden.
- Take it off the heat and transfer to a stainless steel bowl (glass bowls may crack and aluminum may react to the lemon juice). Let it cool – it may darken in color.
- While it’s cooling, wash and exfoliate your legs. Dry your legs and apply a thin layer of powder, such as cornstarch or arrowroot.
- Take out a ping pong-sized ball of the sugar mixture and kneed until smooth. Spread it on your leg in the direction of the hair. Always go with the hair, not against it!
- After it is spread on, take a cloth strip and press it onto the wax.
- Wait until the wax cools to body temperature. Then, grip the bottom edge of the strip and pull up quickly, against the hair. Go fast, like pulling off a band-aid!
- When you’re done, rinse off any leftover sugar mixture and moisturize. Oils, such as jojoba, coconut, and grapeseed, are perfect for this, as they can help reduce redness.
- You may not get all the hair the first time. Wait a few days before repeating the procedure to avoid any irritation. It may be sore the first time, but it will get better the more often you wax!
This wax is meant for legs only. Because your underarms, bikini area, eyebrows, and upper lip have much more sensitive skin, a different type of wax is used there.