If you have sensitive skin, you have probably learned to avoid things like fragrances, strong exfoliation, and harsh ingredients. That means clinic services, such as peels, are simply not an option, right?
Wrong! Chemical peels can actually improve and rejuvenate all skin types, including sensitive skin. Gentle exfoliation will help new, thicker, healthy skin cells reach the surface, resulting in less irritation, redness, and fragility. This is great news for sensitive skin!
Other factors that contribute to the success of a chemical peel treatment include:
- Esthetician’s knowledge and ability to read the client’s skin
- Natural, quality ingredients
- Client’s skin history
- Patch tests prior to to treatment
When it comes to sensitive skin, there are a variety of different sensitivities to take into consideration. Rosacea, hyperpigmentation, acne-prone skin, or skin that easily irritates and dries out can all benefit from chemical peels.
Solutions that are beneficial for sensitive skin include:
- Salicylic Acid – a safe, low-risk acid that produces a drying and lifting effect, extracted from wintergreen and birch.
- Azelaic Acid – an unsaturated fatty acid found in milk fats used as a lightening, lifting, and antibacterial agent.
- Mandelic Acid – an antiseptic and antibacterial beneficial for treating acne and irregular pigmentation.
- Flower Acids – increase cellular turnover without irritation, provide hydration, and help treat hyperpigmentation, rosacea, and skin impurities.
- Jessner and Red Wine Vinegar Acid – Jessner is a combination of salicylic, resorcinol, and lactic acids, which produce a gentle exfoliating agent. Red wine vinegar is an all-natural acid high in antioxidants that helps with exfoliation.
- TCA – Trichloracetic acid is non-toxic, self-neutralizing, and effective in low strengths.
- Retinol – a vitamin A derivative that helps produce collagen, form blood vessels, and encourage healthy cell formation.
It is important to use natural, quality products and try to avoid dyes, preservatives, and strong fragrances to avoid possible skin irritation. The less ingredients, the better!
An expert eye is key; understanding the clients’ skin and the acids being applied with result in the enhancement of the health and appearance of sensitive skin.